Sunday, February 27, 2011

Cognitive Dissonance

I must say, it's a pretty bizarre thing to be signing up for wedding registries when you're in a developing country. This must be why I've been putting it off for so long. About ten times during the process, I wanted to just turn off my computer. It's not that I've gotten so anti-materialist or anti-luxury. It's just... how many fancy plates does one really need?

Right now I consider myself lucky to have running water (none right now), hot water (see previous note) and internet (woohoo! - although who knows for how long...)

In our flat in Delhi, Tyler and I have 4 white plates, 4 orange bowls (there really weren't any other color options), one tea mug Tyler inherited from a conference, and about 8 glasses of all different sizes, because this was easier than trying to compromise amidst dozens of pushy shoppers. Sales consultants at Bloomingdale's may gasp, but with these "dining sets" and our two pots and rice cooker, I'm not sure what else we really need!

$1050 champagne ice bucket, anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment