Friday, November 11, 2011

En Route...

Hello Dubai my old friend, I've come to talk with you again.

You know you're traveling a lot when you get a sentimental feeling about going to the Dubai airport. Or maybe it's just the Coldstones there?

A few vignettes from my last day in Bangkok:

(1) I now have a new favorite Thai sign. It used to be the good ole' "No dogs or durian fruit allowed" sign in all the hotels (including the one I just stayed in). This time, I've fallen in love with a sign attached to our van. It shows about 10 pictures with a big "X" through it, telling passengers that smoking, eating, drinking, and standing are all forbidden. The only activity that's allowed? KARAOKE!! Only in Asia...

(2) As I get into my cab to go to the airport, my Bangkok taxi driver asks whether I'm from China. "No," I tell him, "I'm from New York." ... "Oh!!" - he exclaims, finally understanding. "You're from Chinatown!!" I start to correct him, but find it's easier to just smile and nod.

(3) I'm in line at immigration, behind a family with two toddlers -- one boy, who is running around, with his parents in chase; and one girl, standing quietly and inspecting her passport. She sees the immigration official stamping passports up ahead. Her eyes light up, like she's just gotten the best idea in the world. She takes out her sticker book, and proceeds to fill her entire passport with stickers!! Once her mom returns from chasing her brother, she holds up her passport proudly, showing all the new borders she's crossed. The mom does not seem as amused, but I think it's adorable! (or maybe just bemused that I didn't come up with that idea myself when I was 6!)


No comments:

Post a Comment