Saturday, October 15, 2011

A Walk

I gotta say, the area where I'm staying feels a bit like Epcot Center. And I'm not sure whether that's a good or a bad thing. As an American tourist, I'd hate it... TGIFriday's, Starbucks, big malls... But as an expat in India, it's TGIFriday's, Starbucks, big malls!!!!

Starbucks is a bit surreal. It feels like stepping into any other Starbucks in NYC -- only nicer, as there is tons of outdoor seating, in perfect 80-degree weather. Everything feels, looks, and tastes like any other Starbucks, which I know is precisely the point. I do love the small bits of customization, though. For instance, I always got a kick of Starbucks' in Shanghai, with the option of putting "pearl tea" ("bubble tea") balls in your beverage. Here in Manila, it is less about beverage customization, but more about including local pastries, such as empaynada. Perhaps my favorite sign in Starbucks: "New breakfast sandwich! Spam bagel sandwich!! (double orders of spam also available)". There are also more kitchy paraphernalia for sale -- like small Starbucks cups to strap onto your cell phone.

The cashier is super friendly, joking around with me and trying to convince me that I want something to eat with my latte. This type of jovial action and friendly banter with strangers is certainly something I miss in India, and is such a welcome change when I come back to the US. Tyler and I talk a lot about how roles are much more fluid in the US than they are in India -- being a waiter is a job (usually a part-time job), and not necessarily a defining peg in the social hierarchy, like it tends to be in India. At least in my small amount of time in Manila, I see the same level of confidence and friendliness in Filipinos.

But lest I start thinking Filipino social structure is much more flat than Indian culture, I notice a funny site leaving Starbucks. It takes me a couple seconds to piece it all together -- it just looks so weird. A very well-dressed woman in designer sunglasses walks ahead, barely looking back as she crosses the street like it's a runway.

Meanwhile, two older Filipina women dressed in matching light green uniforms push two strollers a few feet behind. I realize they are her maids! (and clearly she wants everyone else knowing as well, by how they are dressed).

Just when you start thinking you can analyzing a culture, something throws you off and you're back where you started.

No comments:

Post a Comment