Monday, December 19, 2011

True phone call, about 10 seconds ago

Ring, ring...

Me: Hello?
Caller: Hello?

Me: Hello?
Caller: Hello?

Me: Who is this?
Caller: Is this 99109 92924?

Me: I'm sorry, what?
Caller: I'm calling to ask if this is your number: Is this 99109 92924?

Me: Yes. How can I help you?
Caller: Yes, I am calling this number.

Me: Yes?

[The caller then hangs up, only to call back 30 seconds later... Only to hang up after I pick up.]  

I just have to laugh.  Phone etiquette here is quite funny.  At best, it's highly efficient.  I call someone, and they pick up and tersely say: "Yes, tell me."  There's no chit chat, just straight to the point (funny because I have to remind myself not to do that when I'm speaking to American colleagues!)

Perhaps the funniest though is telephone etiquette in Hyderabad.  When I first moved to India and called someone, it was not uncommon for the recipient to pick up and say: "Hello? Hello? Hello? Hello? Hello?" (this is not an exaggeration)  Each time I would start to speak and say who I am, the recipient would say another, "Hello?"  I remember one time when ordering pizza, I had to just say: "Stop!" so we could get past the salutations and I could place my order!

This trend was actually so pervasive, that for a while, my then roommate, Jack, would start to pick up his cell phone when friends call, answering: "Hello? Hello? Hello? Hello? Hello?"- and then just hang up.  

It would be a bit silly, if it also weren't so true.



No comments:

Post a Comment