Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Reflections

After a three month hiatus, I've now started the packing process for the move back to India later this week. Only this time, home will be Delhi. In many ways, the anticipation feels similar to my initial move to India almost four years ago. So much to do, to see, to experience -- and only having one more year to do it.

I had to smile when I opened my blog to write this entry... my last blurb was about Seth Godin, and it's through Seth Godin that I'm inspired to pick up my blog and resume my musings.

Yesterday was a difficult day. At the 10th anniversary of September 11th, I was absorbed with a sense of intense sadness -- not only in reflecting the horrible events of the day, but in the juxtaposition of the feeling of "one-ness" the day that New Yorkers and the country came together ten years ago... versus the sense of division, politics, and negativity of America today.

I remember all the missing signs -- seeing some of them so much that you almost felt as though you knew the person yourself (I always remember the grandpa dressed in a green jacket in all the missing photos -- he looked like Santa Claus himself!). Or Aurelie calling me up to see whether I was okay; France had provided free calls to New York for an entire day. Or for that matter, stories of Americans calling their same number with a 212 area code. Everywhere you looked -- whether it was New Yorkers cheering fire fighters as they drove down the street, or spontaneous vigils in Union Square - it felt like one family, we were all in this together.

So it saddens me to turn on the TV and sense all the political anger mixed with cultural complacency, within the vortex of the Kardashians or whatever reality television show is the newest thing. And I found myself on the verge of a new low, wondering if I had set the right priorities when I chose a career focused on social impact and global change -- whether that even really mattered.

In that context, it was a welcome note to receive Seth Godin's blog, which Tyler forwarded me today. He writes:

"I remember ten years ago like it was yesterday, looking out the window of my office and wondering if it (all of it) was over. I remember those that suffered and were lost, and those brave enough to risk everything. Not sure we'll ever forget, or if we should.

But now more than ever, I believe we have an obligation to stand up, stand out and to do work that matters. Wherever you are, there's an opportunity to be different, with respect."

No comments:

Post a Comment