Tuesday, March 22, 2011

A River of Color

This past weekend was Holi, the Indian festival of colors. The celebration began at work late on Friday, as our head of clinical quality lead the charge of throwing color -- purple, pink, and green -- on our faces (the fact that I was in a meeting in my office did not stop this!)

My favorite sights over the weekend were people going about their normal day, completely colored head-to-toe like red martians: a family of four on their motorcycle - father, mother, and young children all painted in-sync; or an auto driver and passengers looking like they drove through a Willy Wonka car wash.

Likely the most incredible sight was passing a colony on my way to Charminar, an entire river of red as evidence of all the color wars that happened earlier in the day, with droves of red children emerging out of their houses as I passed through.

Sitting in my auto, I remembered advice that our head of finance gave me on my first Holi in India -- useful in Holi as well as in life: "Once you stop resisting, you'll have a lot more fun."






No comments:

Post a Comment