Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Back in Hyderabad

I'm back in Hyderabad after a whirlwind few weeks of traveling -- NY, DC, Boston... followed by a 10-day meditation retreat in the Himalayas.

As I was looking through my US notes today, I came across some quotes I had quickly jotted down on my last day there. Anant and I were at the Institute of Healthcare Improvement (IHI), meeting with their executive director of strategic partners and their CEO (who, by the way, was just nominated by Obama to head Medicare and Medicaid Services... quite a huge task!!)

Besides their impressive work in the field of clinical quality improvement, I continue to be amazed at IHI's focus on process. For them, it's not just about the outcome, but about the systems and processes that enable these outcomes. More and more, I'm realizing the tremendous importance of the "how", and not just the "what" or even the "why".

As part of their focus on process, they have "pods" around their office so that all members of related work can sit together and facilitate communication. One of my favorite aspects of their office are the quotes painted on their walls. Some favorites:

"It's kind-of fun to do the impossible" - Walt Disney

"Every system is perfectly designed to get the results it gets" (a sentiment my business school mentor and professor would surely agree with)

"What can you do by next Tuesday?" (well, a lot now that you ask!)

No comments:

Post a Comment