Monday, March 22, 2010

Just another Monday evening

I'm having a decidedly I-love-India night. And what's most amazing, there's really nothing special about it.

But that's what's so great about it. As much as I love traveling, I really haven't lived anywhere internally longer than three months. The longest is probably working in Australia or studying in Russia or London for the summer. So now that I'm going on 2 1/2 years here in India, the joy of simply living abroad, as opposed to traveling or studying abroad sometimes catches me in unexpected moments. Like tonight.

I leave work early for a change (meaning 7pm) and head home. As I wonder which take-out place to bring food home from, I decide it would be more fun to cook. So I head to my favorite local vegetable stand, just down the hill from where I live. Rs 10 for vegetables and an egg, another Rs 10 rupees for spices and flavouring for chicken-noodle soup, and I have a meal for less than fifty cents!

As I walk up the hill home, I pass children playing on the streets. My neighbor's adorable son (who just recently learned to walk) comes out of their apartment laughing, completely naked except for a red string around his waist (an auspicious tradition here that many parents do on their children). His older brother whisks him away when he hears my approach, embarrassed.

As I am about to close the front door to my apartment, the call to prayer starts from the nearby mosque. While on some days (especially very early mornings!), I just want QUIET, today the call has a melodious quality that somehow matches with the warm tropical Indian air. No doubt about it, summer is starting soon in Hyderabad.

I keep the door open and listen to the call to prayer, as I start chopping my vegetables for dinner.

Not a bad way to end a day.


My local "grocery".


No comments:

Post a Comment