Thursday, November 5, 2009

Baseball Fever

Tyler calls me an addict. I'm now in the business center of an amazingly nice hotel "watching" what I hope is the final game of the World Series. And yes, by "watching", I'm still referring to seeing the baseball icons move around the bases, with the photos of batter and pitcher smiling out at me.

I'm in Delhi for the 6th India Health Summit, hosted by the Confederation of Indian Industry. Turns out getting to a conference two hours early has its advantages when baseball is on!

Over on this side of the world, of course cricket is the rage. I've gone to a couple of games in Hyderabad, but I'm sure massively annoyed Indians I was with by trying to understand the game in relation to what's similar and different about baseball.

India is playing Australia in cricket today -- in Hyderabad, actually. Both teams arrived Hyderabad two nights ago and checked into the Taj Krishna, coincidentally where I was meeting Catherine so we could go out for dinner and drinks. We quickly decided that staying at the Taj would make for the more interesting evening!!

The very nature of their players probably says a lot about the countries' cultures -- or at least the cultures of the celebrity and the elite. The Australian cricketers came down in plain white t-shirts and work-out pants, having low-key drinks at the bar... while the Indian cricketer we saw was decked to the nine, with sunglasses and a host of fans pushing us out of the way for his autograph inside the hotel!

But meanwhile, back to baseball... Yankees up 7-3, top of the 7th....

No comments:

Post a Comment