Friday, October 23, 2009

Happy Diwali!

Over the weekend, Indian newspapers happily reported that Barack Obama is the first US President to observe Diwali.  He lit the White House diya while a Sanskrit scholar and Hindu priest chanted Asatoma Sadgamaya.

As an American living in India, I was really quite proud of the celebration of faiths exemplified by his Diwali wishes (which you can see here), where he talks about celebrating the triumph of good over evil and quotes Sanskrit verse: "lead us from falsehood to truth, from darkness to light."

Returning from Goa, it was so nice to see my inbox filled with Diwali wishes from just about everyone -- co-workers and friends here, of course -- but also random people I've met once in a conference, and the best surprise: Diwali wishes from many friends from home! -- many forwarding Obama's speech with remarks like: "I've never seen anything like this."

Diwali is a time of reflection and contemplation, which seems the perfect precursor to Thanksgiving up ahead...

I think I can get used to this seemingly never-ending celebrations and festivals!!

No comments:

Post a Comment