Monday, April 16, 2012

Reverse Culture Shock, Part 2

Got into NYC this morning from DC.  One obvious difference between NY and Delhi jumps out: In NY, it's all about the output, not the activity.  You can see this just watching people walk: head down, checking their smart phones, rushing to get to their destination.  The walk itself is a hindrance, something to get over with as soon as posible.  In Delhi, it's more about the activity itself: whether it's sweeping the road of dirt (when it's obvious the dirt just returns), or hanging out and just talking on the road.  We notice the difference a lot in work, but it's much more pronounced just day-to-day.

The buildings are taller and more majestic than I remember... I still think I know just about everyone I pass... and I remember I can't just go up to any cute baby I see -- in India, this would be welcome; but in NY, that would just be weird.

Biggest of all right now is just re-orienting to abundance.  Delta Airlines announces free coffee, bagels, and newspapers while we wait for our flight, and I'm shocked people aren't running up to grab their share and more (and have to stop myself from doing so).  It's like I've been a bit reprogrammed, yet I remember how I should act -- it's just not yet in automatic.

Maybe it's the amazing weather, or that everyone is talking about the Yankees opener... but it just feels like one giant community.  

It's nice to be home.


No comments:

Post a Comment