Friday, January 13, 2012

A day at the "office"

I'm sitting cross-legged on a comfy couch, in the uniform of my generation: jeans, a black sweater, and a white MacBook.  Nearby, other young professionals are dressed similarly, typing away on their computers.  Half an hour ago, I had a debate with an Android app developer on the pros and cons of using tablets to maximize the efficiency of community health workers, before I got on a call with a pharma executive in Germany.

As I type, one woman just brought her golden retriever to the room as well, who lies patiently next to her as she types on her computer, sitting on a beany bag on the floor (the dog has now settled into his own beany bag right next to hers).  Downstairs, there is a giant spread of french bread, cream cheese, and ham (the type that only a frenchman in Delhi can create), while a group downstairs brainstorms ways to market their new enterprise.  Jazz wafts through the surround sound speakers, and it feels like all I need is a glass of red wine to complete the Gen-Y picture.

Shockingly, I'm at "work."  Or rather, I'm at Delhi-Jelly -- an organization made up of professionals working as consultants, software developers, freelancers, writers, and other careers where "work" is anywhere there is internet.

There was a recent Economist article on the rise of co-working, called "Setting the Desk Jockeys Free."  The article talks about new co-working chain, like The Hub, NextSpace, and BusinessWorld -- which is similar to having airport business lounges in city centers, where cardholders have flexible access to its facilities.

For me, access to something like that would be incredible.  Lately my days have been feeling like a constant quest for good internet (on one trip to Ghana, I actually went to the airport five hours early to have access to internet, air conditioning, and a working bathroom!).  On the plus side, I've never been more productive... there's nothing like the prospect that power (and internet) might go out to keep you focused on work.

The Delhi-Jelhi was started by a British fellow, who lived half his life in France, who was looking for a more collaborative work environment.  It's quite an international crew of "co-workers", Indians, Australians, Europeans (although I'm the only American today).  The space is gorgeous; a posh house-turned-"office" of deep red and blue colors, multiple floors and nooks allowing for group brainstorms and conference calls, fast internet... and a dog!!  

I'm sure after too many days here, I'll begin to miss conference rooms, desks, and (gasp) maybe even cubicles...

But for now, I quite prefer this.




No comments:

Post a Comment