Monday, April 4, 2011

Stuff stuff and more stuff!

Today is Ugadi: New Year's Day in the Deccan region of Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka. "Uga" means "era", and "aadi" means "start", so today is the "start of an era."

And what better way to start off an era than to clean out the old, to make room for the new. Sitting on the floor of my office, papers strewn around me (thank goodness today is an office holiday!), I've started to spring clean and organize all of my "stuff"... almost four years of it!

Inevitably, it's a trip down memory lane... binders from my visit to Baptist Hospital in Pensacola, Florida, in many ways the inspiration for exceptional customer service at LifeSpring... the blown-up photo of our original marketing team on a retreat near our coastal hospital... due diligence reports of potential sites, when a hospital there was only a thought on paper.

It really does boggle my mind how much "stuff" has been collected... books that I intend to read "someday", photos and cd's that I will file "eventually." I've been doing a lot of research on Lean recently, and my filing system certainly does not fall into that framework! In the "Happiness Project", the author writes about how much satisfaction and happiness result from just reducing clutter; she is proud of her ensuing "empty shelf."

I can barely keep my own New Years resolutions, so I'm hesitant to make one for Ugadi. But since it is a start of an era, I commit to spring cleaning once a quarter, continually making room for the new.

Ganesh, the Hindu god of new beginnings, is going to need to help me a bit on this one...


No comments:

Post a Comment