Thursday, November 4, 2010

Stranded

The gods of transit have not been on my side today. First I get to the airport; 5:30am, plenty of time to check in for my 6:30am flight. I casually hand my online confirmation to the SpiceJet counter and am rocked out of my semi-slumber by: "I'm sorry madam, but the plane doors are already closed. The flight is leaving in 10 minutes." What?! I always feel semi-prepared to hear that a flight has been delayed, but leaving early?! -- and by fifty minutes?!?!

Escalating the issue to a manager gets me nowhere, despite having my confirmation clearly stating that the flight is set to leave at 6:30am. I am told that they have changed their schedule, and since I have booked with an online travel agency and not directly with the carrier, they can't help me. The most they offer to do is put me on the next flight (um, THANKS), which doesn't leave for another six hours.

I am set to meet Tyler in Bombay, en route to Alibag, where we plan to spend our long Diwali weekend. Reluctantly, I buy tickets on a different carrier and am just grateful that they don't hike up prices here for last-minute travel, like they do in the States.

Fast-forward two hours, and now Tyler and I are happily in Bombay, in front of the Gateway of India. It's a beautiful, grandiose structure, just opposite of the Taj Palace. We inquire about ferry times to Alibag, and are told somewhat mockingly, "No ferries today. Your President is coming." I look around and there are already hundreds of local police guarding the Gateway. I look out at the waterfront and think of how surreal it will be to have the water patrolled by US Navy in a couple of days.

Wondering what we should do now, Tyler and I call our hotel in Alibag and ask about ferries leaving from other ports in Bombay. None. Fantastic. We can take a car, but part of the fun was the journey getting there.

So here we are, stranded in Bombay. Tough life, I know ;) Lucikly, our go-to hotel had rooms available...which actually should be quite interesting considering we're literally across the street from the Taj, where Obama will be staying.

Always an adventure in India!





No comments:

Post a Comment