Monday, August 30, 2010

Religion in Technicolor

The shoes neatly aligned in rows outside is my first sign that this mass would likely be different from my church in New York.

Stepping in and nearly gasping at the bright blue neon crucifix is the other. Gotta hand it to them, of course, the neon makes you stop and stare. While the cross oftentimes becomes an object of meditation for me in church, all I could think about during mass were visions of Las Vegas!

What continually fascinates me each time I attend mass in a different country is how that country takes facets of the religion, yet incorporates aspects of its own culture. The first time I attended a Catholic mass in Hyderabad, I was struck by how many people went up to touch a life-sized Mary statue and give offerings of marigold and fruit, almost as though she were a Hindu goddess in a temple. The church I attended yesterday was adorned in saffron and golden colors throughout. When, in the homily, the priest spoke about the virtues of humility and meekness, he spoke of Mahatma Gandhiji, whose daily prayer was to be "lower than the dust under his feet." Rather than shaking hands for the sign of peace, we bowed and said "Namaste" with hands clasped together.

I was struck by the diversity inside the church -- people from America, Africa, and Asia, with the children of all the families instantly curious about one another. An electric amplified band played 1970's-esque music to "Hallelujah" and "Glory to God", while the priest tapped his hands and swayed to the music at the altar. You could even see his feet shuffling a bit under his robes.

Eager to meet the priest after mass to discuss pre-Cana and marriage requirements, I find him at his church office upstairs. After giving chocolates to crying American babies, he turns to me and asks how he can help. I tell him I will be getting married and wanted information on pre-Cana.

"A spinster, you are, then?" he asks.

Ah. At this point, all I can do is laugh. And people ask why we're not getting married in India? ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment