Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Hallelujah, the rains have started!!!

Just like clockwork. 1st June, and the rains have started here in Hyderabad. When I first arrived, I always found it funny that everyone said "monsoons start on 1st June" -- as though it's something that can be predicted with such precision... except that it can. Everything here revolves around the rains starting, including the first day of classes for school children.

The smell of the first rain is almost indescribable... strong earthy, musky scents... I started to get my first whiff today during a meeting with my CEO. I had a huge urge to jump up and open the windows, a welcome respite from the 110+ degree weather... but he beat me to it! He opened the window shades and threw the windows open, remarking: "This is what India waits for."

I felt a bit like a dog, with my head sticking out the window taking in the cool air... but looking around, tons of people were doing the same thing. Children had run to the rooftops of their building, dancing in the rain; while older Indians looked out their windows, huge smiles on their faces.

I know at some point soon, I'll likely complain about the rains as much as I complained about the heat. But for now, I'm loving it.

No comments:

Post a Comment